Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ms. Anonymous And Mike Davis

Note: This morning I received an email from Ms.Anonymous. I replied to the lady. I have included both her email and my reply for general reading.

I appreciate this lady's emails. It shows that she is participating in Australia's open society. I would encourage her to continue; her family and friends should also join in, they are most welcome. This lady will, I am sure, give thought to the idea of 'a more australian Islam'.

It is an idea that I think should be discussed in muslim circles.




Dear Ms. Anonymous…I am not mocking Mohammad. I think that you are mistaken about his last wife. I would be happy to accept correction if you could send me an article from a muslim source about mohammad and his last wife.

As I have lived and worked in the middle east I am aware of current islam and some of its problems. I mentioned the last wife, merely as an example to you of how the average Australian would think when he or she looked at Mohammad. I know that you would never be disrespectful about Jesus, and I am not being disrespectful about Islam.

If you read my blog carefully you would see that I am actually very concerned about the situation of the muslims in Australia (most Australians are not). It is not good. My view is that local muslims should put an effort into creating a more australian islam…an islam that takes into account the real situation that muslims in Australia encounter every day. You are actually living in the year 2006 and in a Western country, not the year 632 in the Arabian peninsula. This fact must be taken into account or you and many Australian muslims will continue to be unhappy here, and made to feel not welcome.

It would be foolish to live in a place where you were unhappy. I do not want to see you leave Australia, but if your own happiness required it, you should leave.

A far better solution is to develop an islam ‘with Australian characteristics’. This is the best way for you to enter further into Australian society, and to be made more welcome and be happier. This would be a far better solution to the problems of muslims here today.

I am not concerned with entering into discussion about ‘Islam’. This is your matter, not mine. My sole concern is with ‘muslims’, especially muslims in Australia. How can they improve their situation in Australia?

Do you know of any other person in Australia, a non muslim, who has the slightest concern/interest for how the muslims are getting on in Australia? Any public figure? Anyone? There is no one. I am the only non muslim you will encounter who is genuinely interested…I don’t include the Police, their interest is of a difference degree.

Do you have any thoughts on this matter?

Cheers

Mike Davis.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anonymous [mailto:anonymous-comment@blogger.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 5 April 2006 7:38 AM
To: myblog@iprimus.com.au
Subject: [God Bless Hitler!!! She Says.] 4/05/2006 07:37:33 AM

That Talk about the prophet is all Lies!!!!!! i agree jesus is a Good Man peace be upon him! Muhammad pbuh was the greatest men created and NO he doesnt encourage revenge! Like i said if u knew anything about the prophet or even Islam u wouldnt be talking such rubbish! and NO he didnt marry a 6 year old, I guess its just your old age making you talk such dirty things respect urself so that others may respect u ur an old man its not nice to have too much enemies, i am sorry if i sound rude its that i will not or any muslim tolerate you talking about the prophet Muhammad pbuh U need to respect other ppl's beliefs otherwise u will get nowhere in life put urself in my poition and some stranger came and started making fun of ur beliefs we wouldnt mock jesus as he is our beloved prophet, But we have more respect than that! Muslims couldnt care less if Australia accepts us or not we dont need australia and its ppl like you who just burn when they see mulsims in the street but this is our country as much it is yours most of us were born here and raised here and even if they weren't this is a multicultural country so dont say where we should and shouldnt be! Its none of ur business, By the way if u think Muslims are outsiders than i suggest u stop writing columns about islam! Its beta for u if u stop mocking us Belive me!!!
Thank you again!!!!



Comment: I am glad to see that this lady is keen to present her case. I hope to be able to help promote a process of thinking and action within the muslim communities toward the evolution of 'a more Australian Islam'. This is a muslim project and a non muslims cannot participate except to encourage it.

I think that this project is one specifically aimed at Australian born and raised muslims, such as Ms. Anonymous.

I truely hope that this project can do some good. Insh'allah.

mike davis.

No comments: